Hinton St George Cricket Club was formed on 13 July 1827, the second oldest Cricket Club in Somerset. By 1832 it had transferred to a ground at Cartgate and became Ham Hill Cricket Club. The club was for ‘gentleman’ and potential players could be refused if considered undesirable. One cricket ball cost the equivalent of four days wages for an agricultural labourer.
In 1829, Ann Cossins received £2 10s for providing dinner which included ham, beef, mutton, 2 couple of fowl, 2 couple of duck, beer, cider, ale and grog. Some things have changed over the years – the menu for the cricket tea has somewhat altered but the quality hasn’t!